Our CEO, Jill Tapia, is a self-proclaimed cat lady (in the best way possible) and a huge advocate for pet rescue and adoption. So, since International Cat Day is August 8th, we wanted to highlight three of our feline friends’ owners.
Jill Tapia introduced me to both cats. She is a big advocate for cat adoption. Kaibyo is from Queens, and Ishi is from the Bronx.
1. How did you come up with your cats’ names? Do they have any specific significance? “Kaibyo” means “strange cat” or “supernatural cat” in Japanese. He’s a Yokai. He’s mysterious. “Ishi” means “stone” in Japanese. He’s the color of stone, and he’s kind of dense.
2. What are some quirky things about your pets’ personalities? Kaibyo loves to sit on your lap while you’re watching TV or playing video games or when you’re trying to work. Almost anytime actually. Ishi won’t sit still unless he’s passed out napping. He’s always on the prowl looking to tackle anyone or anything. He often looks out the window and yowls forlornly to the world.
3. If your cats could talk, what would they say? Kaibyo: “Can I sit on your lap?” “Can you tell Ishi to leave me alone?” Ishi: “Ambush!” “Have you seen Kaibyo? I wanna tackle him.”
1. How did you come up with your cat’s name? Does it have any specific significance? Cannoli has been one of (if not) my favorite dessert since I can remember. I decided long before I had Cannoli, that it was what I would name my first cat and so I did! When I went to the ASPCA to adopt a cat, I went in looking for a white cat, which I thought would fit the name, BUT that’s not how it worked out! Cannoli came running up to me, and it was love at first meow. Side note: if you’re looking for the best Cannoli there is, check out Rocco’s Bakery in the West Village. And it’ll make you want to name your cat Cannoli, too.
2. What are some quirky things about your pet’s personality? At one point in her life, she was a feral cat who lived on the street (hence her ear tip). So, she loves to spend time outside in my backyard looking at the birds and taking in the sun. She has recently started waking me up in the morning by tapping by arm and meowing at me to let her out back. Also, Cannoli has no teeth but literally NOTHING can get in the way of her and her dry food or treats. If you’re eating, Cannoli wants a taste – even if it’s pizza. She will tap your hand while you’re eating to make sure you know to give her a bite.
3. If your cat could talk, what would she say? “Are you gonna finish that” “Yes? Can I help you?” “Mommmm, go away!”
1. How did you come up with your cat’s name? Does it have any specific significance? I am a vast lover of orange. And my rule is that any animal who was to be a part of this family had to have a name relating to orange. It was the only way we would be a real happy family.
2. What are some quirky things about your pet’s personality? He’s extremely bossy. It’s his way or his way. He trips you up by walking in and out of your legs as he directs you to and from his meal and drinking bowl. (Feed ME Seymour, Feed Me NOW!)
3. If your cat could talk, what would he say? He speaks fluent sailor (cusses up a storm).
Want to work with our cats?